Another normal day here at EBI when I change a variable called GZIP from local to global (via export on Bash) and I got a very nice surprise: all my gzipped files have gzip itself as a header!!!
Let me explain… I have a makefile that, among other things, gzip some files. So, I’ve created a variable called GZIP that is the same as “gzip –best –stdout” and on my rules I do:
%.foo : %.bar $(GZIP) < $ $@
So far so good, always worked. But I had a few makefiles redefining the same command, so I though: why not make an external include file with all shared variables? I could use the @include for makefiles but I also needed some of those variables for shell scripts as well, so I decided to use “export VARIABLE” for all make variables (otherwise they aren’t caught) and called it a day. That’s when everything started failing…
After a while digging the problem (I was blaming the poor LSF on that) I found that when I hadn’t the GZIP variable defined all went well, but by the moment I defined GZIP=”/bin/gzip –best –stdout” even a plain call to gzip was corrupted (ie. had the binary gzip as a header).
A quick look on gzip’s manual gave me the answer… GZIP is the environment variable that gzip stores all default options. So, if you say that GZIP=”–best –stdout”, every time you call gzip it’ll use those parameters by default.
So, by putting “gzip” on the parameter list, I was always running the following command:
$ /bin/gzip /bin/gzip --best --stdout a.bar
and putting a compressed copy of gzip binary together with a.foo into a.bar.
What a mess can a simple environment variable do…